Monday, May 25, 2009

TODAY IS TUESDAY - MAY 26, 2009

THE MORNING SHOW
with
JIM & KAREN
on SPIRIT FM


Memorial Day Weekend usually marks the unofficial start of the summer boating season, though lots of boaters are still hurting from high fuel prices just like motorists hitting the road. Typical fuel consumption for a 'low usage" boating enthusiast: seven to 10 gallons an hour.

Most popular Boat names:
• Sea Quest
• The Salt Shaker
• Hydrotherapy
• Black Pearl
• Dream Weaver
• Wind Seeker
• Aqua-holic
• Second Chance
• Summer Daze
• Seas the Day (or some variation the Carpe Diem theme)

FirstBoat adds these names: Happy Ours, State of Mind, Anchor Management, The Office, Feelin' Nauti; Yes, Dear; and Serenity Now.



Are you going to work even if you feel sick? Why?
Most Americans say they go to work sick not because they're great employees but because they're scared. Thirty-eight percent tell Monster.com they're too busy to miss a day; 33 percent say they're afraid in this economy that if they miss a day, they'll lose their job.



Even though former IL Gov ROD BLAGOJEVICH won't be on NBC's "I'm a Celebrity... Get Me Out of Here" — that doesn't mean his wife can't go.

Yes, that's right — NBC has signed up PATTI BLAGOJEVICH and she's going to Costa Rica for the reality show instead. As you may remember, a federal judge barred the governor from leaving the country, because he faces federal corruption charges. But the fun couple was on the "Today" show yesterday to announce the move, with Patti noting that she hopes her appearance on the reality series will help show that she isn't the profanity-spewing person portrayed on federal wiretaps: "I don't think those characterizations were fair at all," she said.
So what's Rod gonna do while Patti's away? Guess who's gonna take care of the kids...?



Some quotes for those students graduating…

*Your families are extremely proud of you. You can’t imagine the sense of relief they are experiencing. This would be a most opportune time to ask for money. ~Gary Bolding

*Graduation is only a concept. In real life every day you graduate. Graduation is a process that goes on until the last day of your life. If you can grasp that, you’ll make a difference. ~Arie Pencovici

*Commencement speeches were invented largely in the belief that outgoing college students should never be released into the world until they have been properly sedated. ~Garry Trudeau

*It is indeed ironic that we spend our school days yearning to graduate and our remaining days waxing nostalgic about our school days. ~Isabel Waxman
*Obstacles are those frightful things you see when you take your eyes off your goal. ~Henry Ford





Humorous Reflection from George W. Bush - ARTESIA, N.M. — It was a humbling moment for the former commander in chief: President George W. Bush was walking former first dog Barney in his new Dallas neighborhood when it stopped in a neighbor’s yard for relief.

“And there I was, former president of the United States of America, with a plastic bag on my hand,” he told a group of graduating high school students in New Mexico on Thursday. “Life is returning back to normal.”

Bush, in one of his few public appearances since leaving office in January, told the students that leaving office lifted a heavy burden.

“I no longer feel that great sense of responsibility that I had when I was in the Oval Office. And frankly, it’s a liberating feeling,” he told seniors from Artesia High School. When you think about it, being a public servant often requires one to carry around a plastic bag and clean up messes.



Swimsuit Season necessity - With summer upon our listener of the female persuasion might be hunting for the best hair removal product for legs. Woo-hoo! So, what’s the best? According to MSN Lifestyle it’s Veet In-Shower Hair Removal Cream ($8.29) works in about three minutes, so by the time you’re done shampooing and conditioning, the cream is ready for removal.



Mulletism - Jake Nyberg of St. Paul has been 3 weeks or so into his new mullet haircut. Nyberg hopes to expose “mulletism”–the mistreatment of mulleted Americans based on their hairstyle. Nyberg has posted about his trips to J. Crew, where a sales clerk snickered, “Full mullet in the back of the store!” At Wal-Mart, no one said anything. I’d like to hear what women think of the mullet! It seems it’s only the guys who defend the thing. Here are some other names for the mullet:

-hockey-hair, in reference to the popularity of the mullet among hockey players

-pad, because the hair in the back looks like one

-little carpet

-mudflap

-curtain

-small broom and my favorite, ‘business in front, party in back”




Doctor’s Make Housecalls - in the 1930’s, 40% of physician encounters were
house calls. That changed to 1% by 1980. 10 years ago, Medicate made it easier
for physicians to get paid for house calls and now their is a bill before Congress
that would make house calls less expensive and easier to arrange. I think
especially with today’s technology like I-Phones and such the doctor can still be
linked to his office. I know my blood pressure would be much lower if it was being
taken while I’m sitting on my couch watching the Discovery Channel or something.



Chicago buses get ads reading ‘In the beginning, man created God’-This is the slogan that was put on 25 buses in Chicago this week, as a part of the Indiana Atheist Bus Campaign. The bus ads will be seen cruising all over Chicago through the month of June. Charlie Sitzes said that the Chicago slogan “makes the point that religion is a social, man-made creation – like literature, art, politics, and science – and as such, it should be subject to debate like everything else,” He adds that the view of atheists, agnostics and secular humanists are often ignored in public life. You’re not being ignored, there’s just might be nothing to talk about if the subject matter is of something that you don’t believe exists.



Pope Benedict XVI has entered the world of social networking sites and smart-phones with a Vatican portal that includes Facebook and iPhone applications.

The Pope2You Web site was launched Thursday and allows Facebook users to send virtual postcards with photos of Benedict and excerpts from his messages. An application for iPhone and iPod Touch gives surfers video and audio news on the pope’s travels and speeches, as well as on Catholic events worldwide. The new portal is the latest update in the Vatican’s efforts to broaden the pope’s audience and reach out to young people. Earlier this year, Benedict got his own You Tube channel, which is now also linked to the portal. Why do I see the Pope coming out with a rap song?



Behind every great man, there is a great woman. Such is the case of the latest American Idol winner Kris Allen.

Admitting during his appearance on The Ellen DeGeneres Show, set to air on May 26, that he was “shocked every week” during competition, he says it was his wife who kept him going.

“I’ve been singing for a long time I started playing guitar when I was 13 and I’m 23 now,” he tells the talk show host. “I did the music scene in Arkansas, which isn’t that big … and It didn’t work out and I almost gave up.”

But, he continues, “My wife has been the support. I seriously almost gave up a lot, and she was just like you have to keep going. She believed in me more than I believed in myself. She is just great.”
Of Simon Cowell’s declaration Allen “shouldn’t
of played the wife card so early,” DeGeneres disagrees. She tells Allen, “I thought it was great and you seem like an adorable couple and I think it’s important for people to see that you have a wife and how supportive she was.”

It was an issue that never crossed Allen’s mind. “I care about her a lot so it didn’t bother me that she was brought up,” he says. “I think it bothered her more than it bothered me.



If I were the devil ...


Posted: August 16, 1999
1:00 am Eastern
By Paul Harvey
© 2009 WorldNetDaily.com
I would gain control of the most powerful nation in the world;
I would delude their minds into thinking that they had come from man's effort, instead of God's blessings;
I would promote an attitude of loving things and using people, instead of the other way around;
I would dupe entire states into relying on gambling for their state revenue;
I would convince people that character is not an issue when it comes to leadership;
I would make it legal to take the life of unborn babies;
I would make it socially acceptable to take one's own life, and invent machines to make it convenient;
I would cheapen human life as much as possible so that the life of animals are valued more than human beings;
I would take God out of the schools, where even the mention of His name was grounds for a lawsuit;
I would come up with drugs that sedate the mind and target the young, and I would get sports heroes to advertise them;
I would get control of the media, so that every night I could pollute the mind of every family member for my agenda;
I would attack the family, the backbone of any nation.
I would make divorce acceptable and easy, even fashionable. If the family crumbles, so does the nation;
I would compel people to express their most depraved fantasies on canvas and movie screens, and I would call it art;
I would convince the world that people are born homosexuals, and that their lifestyles should be accepted and marveled;
I would convince the people that right and wrong are determined by a few who call themselves authorities and refer to their agenda as politically correct;
I would persuade people that the church is irrelevant and out of date, and the Bible is for the naive;
I would dull the minds of Christians, and make them believe that prayer is not important, and that faithfulness and obedience are optional;
I guess I would leave things pretty much the way they are.



DELICIOUS RIB RECIPE FOR THE SUMMER GIRLLIN’ SEASON
Applewood-Fired Brandied Cherry Ribs
To start, you'll need...
• 1 Rack Fresh Pork Spare Ribs (Serves 3-4)
• 2 Portions Woodbridge Grill Applewood

RUB INGREDIENTS:
• 5 Tbsp. (heaping) Brown Sugar
• 3 Tbsp. Sea Salt
• 2 Tbsp. Brandy
• 1 Tbsp. Paprika
• 1/2 Tsp. Cinnamon
GLAZE INGREDIENTS:
• 1/2 Cup Pitted/Diced Cherries
• 1/2 Cup Maple Syrup
• 4 Tbsp. (heaping) Brown Sugar
• 4 Tbsp. Brandy
RUB PREPERATION:
• Mix rub ingredients together and coat ribs evenly (thin layer) on all sides. Refrigerate for 12-24 hours.
GLAZE PREPERATION:
• Mix glaze ingredients together and bring to light boil for 10 minutes, then simmer for 15 minutes.
GRILL PREPERATION:
• Place Woodbridge Grill Smoker Box 2/3 full applewood under grill and above heat source.
• Fire up grill at medium temperature.
• Rinse spareribs under water removing excess rub.
GRILLING:
• Once smoke develops, reduce heat to medium low and place spareribs bone side down on upper rack (or use indirect heat).
• Close lid and allow smoke to penetrate meat.
• Repeat smoke process for heavier smoke flavor.
• Once mahogany color develops on ribs, coat with glaze repetitively on top side.
• Grill at medium low temperature (325 degrees F) for approximately 1-and-a-quarter hours.
Enjoy!



The Government has a new pool safety website
Each year, nearly 300 children under the age of five drown in residential and public pools and spas. Submersion incidents requiring emergency-room treatment or hospitalization number in the thousands and many victims experience permanent disability, including brain damage.
http://www.poolsafety.gov/

No comments:

Post a Comment